CLCYR promotes access to justice and the elimination of poverty through legal representation, summary advice, referrals, public legal education and information, community development, and law reform.
We deliver high quality services that reflect our commitment to respect, fairness, equality and empowerment.
- Increasing social assistance rates by two per cent for all people receiving social assistance
- Helping people who live in remote and northern communities — who often pay more for basic needs like groceries and transportation — by increasing the Remote Communities Allowance
- Increasing limits on cash and other assets so that people can better manage financial setbacks
- Increasing the income exemption for cash gifts, to better recognize that people receiving social assistance may also receive support from family or friends
- Streamlining rules to make the system work better for people.
Effective September 1, 2017, when a landlord ends a tenancy so that they or a family member can use a rental unit, landlords must:
- Provide one month’s rent to the tenant as compensation or offer the tenant another acceptable rental unit.
- Express intent to occupy the unit for at least one year. If the landlord advertises, re-rents or demolishes/converts the unit within one year, she or he will be considered to have acted in bad faith unless they can prove otherwise, and could face a fine of up to $25,000.
The content on this website is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute as legal, any professional advice, or opinion of any kind. No solicitor-client relationship arises as a result of accessing or reading the information on this website. The CLCYR does not warrant the quality, accuracy, or completeness of any information on this website. This website may contain links to third-party websites. Monitoring the vast information disseminated and accessible through those links is beyond our resources and we do not attempt to do so. Links are provided for convenience only and the CLCYR does not endorse the information contained in the linked websites nor guarantee its accuracy, timeliness, or fitness for a particular purpose.