Tenant Duty Counsel provides free legal advice for tenants facing eviction at the Newmarket sittings of the Landlord and Tenant Board. Duty Counsel is available from 9:40 a.m. on the date of the hearing.
Newmarket Legion at 707 Srigley Street
Tenant duty counsel can:
- give advice about legal rights, obligations and the tribunal process
- help work out settlements with landlords
- review documents, and help prepare forms
- provide referrals for other services
- assist tenants at hearings with procedures, such as urgent review applications and requests for adjournments.
You do not need to make an appointment, but try to arrive at least 30 minutes before your hearing. Tenant duty counsel give priority to tenants with eviction hearings.