Resources and publications on abuse and family violence, consumer law, criminal law, employment and work, family law, health and disability, housing law, immigration and refugee, legal system, social assistance and pensions:|

Law Society Referral Service (
The Law Society of Upper Canada provides a Lawyer/Paralegal Referral Service that connects clients with lawyers or paralegals in the required area of law and geographic location. Lawyers/Paralegals will provide a free 30-minute consultation session via telephone.

A crisis line is available Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m, and is intended for those unable to use the online service, such as those in custody, in a shelter, or in a remote community without access to the Internet. You can ask to be referred to a lawyer or paralegal who speaks languages other than English or French, or a lawyer who accepts legal aid certificates.

Toll-Free Crisis Line: 1-855-947-5255
Crisis Line: 416-947-5255

Justice Net (
A reduced fee program for clients of limited means, based on a sliding scale that takes into account both income and number of individuals supported.

Areas of law include:
Aboriginal Law; Alternative Dispute Resolution; Bankruptcy, Business Law Topics; Child Protection, Civil Litigation; Consumer Rights; Criminal Law; Employment Law; Estate Planning; Family Law; General Practice, Immigration; Real Estate; Tax; Landlord and Tenant.

Law Help Ontario (
Provides help to people who have civil, non-family, matters at the Small Claims Court or Superior Court in Toronto. This program is designed for people who are representing themselves.

Law Help Ontario offers:
Brief services that include guide books on various civil law topics (including court rules and process), software to help complete court forms, and duty counsel lawyers who provide free legal advice.

At times lawyers may be able to represent people in court on that day

Law Help Ontario at Superior Court is located at 393 University Avenue, Suite 110, Toronto.

Law Help Ontario at Small Claims Court is located at 47 Sheppard Avenue East, 3rd Floor, Toronto.

For help with mental health concerns
Canadian Mental Health Association:
1 (905) 841-3977 (Head Office)

For people in crisis needing counselling
York Support Services Network:
310-COPE (1-855-310-2673)

For help with rent or hydro payments
In Aurora, East Gwillimbury, King, Newmarket, and Whitchurch-Stouffville:
Salvation Army (905-895-6119, Ext. 1)

In Georgina: Salvation Army (905-722-3059 Ext. 21)

In Markham, Richmond Hill and Vaughan:
Jewish Family and Child Service (416-638-7800, Ext. 6234)

To apply for subsidized housing:
Housing Access (1-877-464-9675, Ext. 2890)

To apply for compensation from Criminal Injury Compensation Board (CICB):
CICB (416-326-2900 or 1-800-372-7463)

Dental Low-Cost Solutions:
Gift from the Heart (613-743-5523 or visit
Provides free dental hygiene care once a year for those who may be financially unable to receive dental care.

Treating your Feet:
The Michener Chiropody Student Teaching Clinic (416-596-3108)
A free clinic located in Toronto. The Clinic provides orthotics at a reduced rate.

CHATS (Community and Home Assistance to Seniors) – (1-877-452-4287)
Provides transportation services in York Region. There is a fee, but subsidies are available for low income seniors.

Mobility Plus (1-866-744-1119)
York Region’s door-to-door, shared ride, accessible public transit service for people with disabilities. You may be eligible if you are unable to use regular public transit due to a physical, cognitive, visual or sensory disability.

Canadian Diabetes Association: For information on financial assistance with diabetic supplies, please visit:

Community Care Access Centre: CCAC provides a range of specialized health services to make it possible for people to live independently at home. For more information, call 1-888-470-2222.

York Region’s Client Intervention and Support Services: CISS is a social work service which aims to help seniors continue to live independently in their communities for as long as possible. For more information, call 1-877-464-9675 ext. 73433.

Seniors’ Guide: The Ontario government has produced a Seniors’ Guide to provide information to seniors. It is available online from Service Ontario, or by calling 1-888-910-1999.

211 Ontario: Call 2-1-1 to find social, health and government services near you.