About Our Legal Clinic
The Community Legal Clinic of York Region (‘CLCYR’) is a not for profit organization which serves low-income residents in York Region. The clinic is staffed by lawyers, paralegals and support staff and offers free legal help to those who meet our financial eligibility criteria.
CLCYR can help with legal matters relating to:
- Housing and Tenant’s Rights
- Social Assistance: Ontario Works, Ontario Disability Support Program, Canada Pension Plan and Guaranteed Income Supplement
- Criminal Injuries Compensation Board Claims
- Advice on Employment Law
- Advice on Immigration Law
- Summary advice and legal information: We provide summary advice and legal information about our core areas of law.
- Referrals: We connect clients with various social service agencies such as shelters and mental health organizations.
- Legal representation: We appear before various administrative tribunals with clients. This representation is assessed on a case-by-case basis.
- Public legal education outreach: Clinic staff are involved in educating various members of our community about their legal rights.
- Law reform initiatives: Clinic staff are involved in such initiatives aimed at advancing the legal interests of low-income people.
- Assisting clients to organize self-help groups: Clinic staff are involved in community organizing as a means of confronting low-income issues.